Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pizza Pie


Do you ever feel just so overwhelmed by a lot of things that are all kind of silly?

Currently I'm going through stacks and stacks of magazines ripping out recipes and such so I can throw the rest of the magazine away.  But in the process I of course find articles I want to read and it takes a lot longer than originally planned.  I really have too many subscriptions to magazines but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm sort of working on my new blog page (where all of the stuff from this site will be transferred eventually) with a lot of help from Rob with IT Arsenal.  He just so happens to be my best friends husband so it's convenient for me, but I definitely recommend him to anyone looking for help with blogs, websites, and anything technical.  Anyway, he's of course doing most of the work anyway, but it's still something that's on my mind.
I'm trying to figure out what all I want to make for dinner this week.  Sometimes I feel like I just can't find any recipes but other times I feel like there are far too many and it's so hard to pick!
I also really want to start putting my summer clothes away and bringing out the cold weather clothes but that is always such a process.  And I end up giving at least a garbage bag full of clothes to Goodwill after it's all said and done which of course means I need more clothes.  Which John obviously doesn't understand...oh goodness.

So anyway,  This pizza recipe is very versatile, semi easy to make, and sure to please your husband, friends, kids etc.

Pizza Pie

Crust

1 package (1/4 ounce) yeast
1 c warm water
2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c oat bran
a little salt
1 tbsp honey

Dissolve yeast in water and let sit for 10 minutes.
Mix flour, oat bran, and salt.
Add honey and yeast mixture.  Stir and knead together.
Cover and let sit for a couple minutes to rise.

Split dough into two equal size pieces.  Roll out each so that it will fit in a 10 inch pie plate with extra to go around the sides.  Lay one piece of dough in greased pie plate and press against sides.  Save other piece for later.

Fillings

1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 c chopped basil
several shakes oregano
Sliced mozzarella (or shredded) use as much as you want
salt and pepper

And this is where you can get creative.  In the pizza pie that I made I used bell peppers, onions, and pineapple.  But you can use any combination you like.  Mushrooms, spinach, olives, pepperoni, sausage, banana peppers, ham, etc. etc.

1 beaten egg

Dump diced tomatoes onto uncooked dough in pie plate.  Put basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and cheese on top of that.  Put any combination of other fillings on top of the cheese.  Add a final layer of cheese on top of that.  Top with the second layer of crust. 

Brush crust with egg.  bake at 400 for about 35 minutes until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment