Monday, July 25, 2011

Brownies with a pretzel base and buttercream frosting



I saw these on one of my favorite blogs: The Avid Appetite and knew immediately that I had to try them.  However, although I love sweets, I don't like baking for just John and I.  That would be a real problem for people like us who try to eat healthy.  So when I girl in our Bible study asked someone to make a dessert, I seized the opportunity.  These suckers were to die for!  I love that salty and sweet mix, and the icing was so easy to make!  Forget the fact that there is a ton of butter in these guys...it's ok to indulge every once in awhile.

P.S. My picture isn't very good...as this was the last brownie left.  I decided to take a quick picture before I gobbled it down.

Brownies with a pretzel base and buttercream frosting
Recipe from: The Avid Appetite

Pretzel crust:

4 cups pretzel
3/4 c unsalted butter
1/2 c sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degress F.  Line 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil then spray with cooking spray.
Pulse pretzels in food processor until roughly chopped. Mix together with melted butter and sugar.  Press into 9 x 13 pan and bake for about 10 minutes
.
Brownies:

4 ounces (4 squares) unsweetened chocolate
3/4 c butter
2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c flour

change oven temp to 350 degrees F.

Melt butter and chocolate in microwave until butter is melted.  Then stir until all chocolate is melted as well. Mix in all other ingredients until blended well.
Pour and smooth brownie mixture onto pretzel crust. Bake for 35 minutes.  Do not overbake because you want the brownies to still be fudgy!  But not raw of course.

Buttercream frosting:

1/2 c butter at room temperature
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk

Beat the butter until fluffy (I used my stand mixture with the paddle attachment but you could also use a hand mixture.  Gradually add sugar and keep beating, then add vanilla and milk.

Then spread over cooled brownies.  Put a pretzel on top of each brownie if desired.  It's helpful as it lets guests know what is in your dessert!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying them out! I'm so happy that you liked them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe and for your awesome blog! I'm making them again this weekend for a labor day picnic.

    ReplyDelete