Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Corn soup with Jalapeno Puree


I have declared Mondays as meatless.  But let's be honest, there will be more than one meatless day in my house.  I could definitely be a vegetarian.  As it is now I only make and mostly only eat chicken and turkey.  I will eat other meats though if I am eating at someone's house.  I never want to inconvenience anyone so I just eat what they prepare.  I make beef maybe once a year, for Johns birthday.  Meatloaf...he loves it.  I told him I would make a turkey meatloaf and he didn't really like that idea.  Every time I buy beef though I just feel gross...and it looks gross and ya know, it's just not appealing to me in the least.  But have me over for dinner, and I will eat your bloody steak without one complaint.

Anyway, meatless Mondays are a good idea because you never know what we ate over the weekend.  For some reason I really don't want or like to cook on Saturdays or Sundays (unless it's breakfast) so we normally go out to eat, or have a frozen pizza.  But it's good to start the week off healthy.  And of course continue to eat healthy throughout the week, and then splurge on the weekends.  That's my mentality...probably not the best one but I like it.

As I was going through old magazines ripping out recipes, I came across one for Corn Soup in the July 2010 issue of Real Simple (I love this magazine!)  So this recipe is modified from that.

Corn Soup with Jalapeno Puree

Jalapeno Puree

2 jalapeno peppers with seeds removed
a quarter of a green bell pepper chopped (about 1/4 cup) I used the frozen bell pepper mix from Trader Joe's
2 tbsp chicken or vegetable broth

Put peppers on baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes until slightly charred.  Let cool for a little then blend in blender with 2 tbsp broth.  Pour into a small bowl, clean out blender, and set aside for later.

Corn Soup

2 tbsp butter
1 small onion chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
5 cups white corn kernels (Ok so I have to be honest here, I was to lazy to chop the corn off of about 10 ears of corn so I just used the frozen white corn from Trader Joes)
salt and pepper (about 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper)
plain yogurt
cilantro leaves

Melt butter in a large saucepan, add onions and cook until soft but not browned.

Add corn, broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Blend soup in blender (or with your immersion blender if you are so lucky) until smooth.

Serve the soup with a spoonful of plain yogurt in it and the jalapeno puree on top.  Garnish with fresh cilantro.

I am so happy to soup season is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment