Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Oh my goodness!  I wasn't going to post tonight...seeing as I just posted this afternoon.  But we just had a DELICIOUS dinner.  I was unsure about it because I've never made Acorn squash, or eaten it as far as I know except for maybe a bite or two.  I think it's one of those things that my mom made occasionally and we all said "ewww" so she ate it herself.

But this was seriously good!  John even loved it.  He kept saying how good it was. And he scraped his acorn squash clean.  I Googled different things to do with an acorn squash and I found all sorts of recipes, I kinda mixed and matched from a lot of different recipes and came up with this.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Squash:

-1 Acorn Squash
-1 tbsp butter
-2 garlic cloves minced
-1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
-salt and pepper

Filling: 

-olive oil
-2 small links Turkey sausage, casings removed (or sausage of your choice, I used Hot and the flavors were really complimentary)
-3/4 c chopped onion
-1 c chopped carrots
-1 medium sized apple cut into chunks (I used Stayman because they are my favorite, but you can use any baking apple)
-2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
-4 tbsp cheddar cheese
-salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Cut acorn squash in half and get rid of the seeds and gunk on the inside.  Put in pan face up.

Melt butter, garlic, and sage and spread on both pieces of acorn squash. Season with salt and pepper.

Roast for 1 hour.

Melt olive oil, add onions and carrots.  When onions are soft, add sausage without casings and break up into pieces.  Cook until sausage is no longer pink.

Add chopped apple, sage, salt and pepper.

Fill already roasted acorn squash with the sausage, apple mixture, then sprinkle each with 2 tbsp cheddar cheese.

Put back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

The spiciness of the sausage, with the sweetness of the apple, and the sage on top of the acorn squash really was a winner.  I am definitely looking forward to trying a new recipe with acorn squash soon.

You can easily make this vegetarian by omitting the sausage and using quinoa instead, which would also be delicious.


This is John's scraped clean squash.  Definitely impressive for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment