Monday, October 17, 2011

Brocolli & Potato Frittata


I finally got apples and cider!  From Beccari's Farm Market.  I will definitely be going back!  They have the best Apple Cider ever!  They actually call it liquid apple because there is no added sugar (it doesn't need it), no water, and no preservatives.  We finished 1 gallon in less than a week...of course we did have more guests than usual so it wasn't just us drinking it. I plan on making some apple desserts within the next couple of days...so I will probably be posting them on here.  Fall is delicious!

I also bought myself a bag of Chex Mix when I was at the grocery store last Sunday...a moment of weakness.  I thought John and I would share it...but he wasn't as interested in it as me, or maybe I just didn't give him a chance to eat it...who knows.  The bag lasted about 5 days so that's not to bad is it?  So with my Chex Mix in one hand and my hot apple cider in the other, I was a happy girl.

But Chex Mix and Apple Cider weren't the only things I ate last week, of course.  I found this frittata in the November 2011 issue of EveryDay with Rachael Ray and adapted it just a little.  It was pretty delicious.  I've never thought to add potatoes to eggs before but it turned out well.  This can work for dinner, breakfast, brunch, or lunch so it's pretty versatile.

Brocolli & Potato Frittata

-Olive oil or coconut oil (I've been using this a lot recently because I got a jar while in amish country)
-2 white potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces 
-4 cloves garlic minced
-1/2 small onion
-2 cups broccoli florets
-4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
-1 half c skim milk
-4 oz. pepperjack cheese
-salt and pepper

Heat oil in a skillet (preferably a cast iron that has been well seasoned).

Add the potatoes and onions and cook, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking until potatoes are tender.  About 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add a little more oil to pan.  Add garlic and broccoli.  Season with salt and pepper and cook until broccoli is tender.

Return the potatoes to the pan and smooth the veggies into an even layer.

Put rack in oven on the very top and preheat broiler.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper.  Pour over the potatoes and broccoli.  Cook until the eggs are set around the edges but still wet on top.  Then broil until just set and starting to brown a little on top-about 4 minutes.

Slice and serve.  Can be served with a variety of different side dishes depending on what meal it is for, or just alone.  It has most of the food groups in it already.

1 comment: