Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Spicy Chicken Sauce in the Slow Cooker


I'm writing a post for crock pot Thursday...on Wednesday.  So you can make it on Thursday.  I started crock pot Thursday because I don't get home from work until about 6:30 and thought it would be nice if dinner was pretty much ready when I got home.  Also, our favorite TV shows are on that night so it gives me more time to relax and enjoy the good ol' TV.  The Big Bang Theory and The Office are the shows I am referring to by the way.  They just crack me up every time.  We have also been watching Whitney.  I'm still not sure what I think about it but it's funny enough.  I watched one of her stand up routines earlier this summer and thought it was pretty dang good, so thought why not watch the show?  I'm still eh about it though.

So as I was just reading the word "crock pot", I wondered if I should use the "slow cooker" instead?  It's kind of like the whole tissue/Kleenex thing.  I don't even know if my slow cooker is actually a crock pot or not.  So I will just say slow cooker from now on.

Anyway, I made this Spicy Chicken Sauce for dinner last Thursday.  I got the inspiration from the September 2011 issue of Rachael Ray.  However, that recipe wasn't in a slow cooker, and I made quite a bit of changes.  I also would typically serve this dish over quinoa, but this time I served it over whole wheat pasta with spinach because I knew John was hankering for pasta (he always is).  So do whatever you are hungry for...it was delicious with pasta, but it would be with quinoa, rice, plain, or wrapped in a tortilla as well!  This recipe served 2 of us with leftovers.  And we eat a little more than a normal serving size so it could potentially feed a family of four.

Spicy Chicken Sauce

-2 chicken breasts, chopped
-1 small onion sliced, about 1 cup
-1 jalapeno chile chopped (seeded and de-ribbed unless you want it super spicy)
-3 cloves garlic minced
-1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (You can also use plain diced tomatoes if you prefer)
-1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
-Salt and Pepper
-Juice from 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.

My slow cooker cooks pretty fast so this was done in about 5 1/2 hours on low.  However, all slow cookers cook differently.  Typically I would cook this on high for 5 hours and low for 8.  You probably know how your slow cooker works so do what you think would work best based on how your slow cooker cooks and your schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment