Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



This was my first experience making anything with rhubarb.  I was so excited when I finally found in at Kaelin Farm Market in Wexford, PA.  I have recently discovered many farm markets in Wexford and am very excited about this, especially with the summer coming up.  Anyway, I searched around and found a ton of different recipes for strawberry rhubarb pie.  Taking all of these, I combined, added, and got rid of some things to come up with this.  It really was good:

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Crust:

For the crust I used the All butter crust I found on another food blog.  You can find it in my blog Here
and this will also lead you to her blog.  Do not bake the crust before you bake the rest of the pie.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Filling:

-3 c strawberries
-2 c rhubarb
-1/2 c white sugar
-1/2 c brown sugar
-2 tbsp instant tapioca
-1 tbsp lemon juice

Mix everything together and stir until combined.  Pour into pie crust.

Crumb Topping:

I'm not a huge fan of crust covering my entire pie, but I love crumb topping, so I thought I would go this route.

3/4 c flour
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c brown sugar
3 tbsp butter
pinch of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients.  If it isn't crumbly enough add a little cold water.

Sprinkle generously over pie.  Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, then turn down to 350 and bake for an hour more.  If it looks like the crust is getting to brown cover loosely with foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment