Friday, May 13, 2011

Delicious Asparagus Pizza, Honey Wheat Pizza Crust, Pesto


So I've been loving experimenting with different pizza recipes recently.  When I saw the idea for this I knew I had to try it.  Based on the recipe of the week at Soergels Orchards which is one of my favorite places.  Especially in the fall.

So this pizza can be as simple or as hands on as you want it (store bought crust and pesto, or handmade), but in the end it's all pretty easy.  So here's the basic recipe, with the crust and pesto recipes to follow if you are so inclined.

Delicious Asparagus Pizza

-Pizza Crust (Homemade, Boboli, Trader Joe's Whole Wheat already prepared Dough)
-Pesto
-A big handful of spinach
-3 roma tomatoes
-2 cups chopped fresh (or frozen) asparagus
-Fontina Cheese
-olive oil
-salt and pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  Chop up asparagus and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Put in oven until soft (about 5-10 mins)

2. Spread pizza crust with pesto.  Layer Spinach, chopped tomatoes, asparagus, and thinly sliced cheese.

3.  Bake  at 400 F for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

I was afraid that John wouldn't be a huge fan of this pizza because of all the vegetables, but he had half of the pizza, so guess I was wrong.  I love how he isn't picky.  I was also wondering if the tomatoes would get cooked enough, because I love them when they are cooked but raw not so much.  However, the flavors and vegetables blended perfectly and it was a delicious, filling, and semi healthy dinner overall.  Success! 


Honey Wheat Pizza Crust

Pizza crust really is simple to make.  I don't know why I've never done it before.  I will be from now on I can tell you that.

-1 package (1/4 ounce) yeast
-1 cup warm water
-2 cups whole wheat flour
-1/4 cup oat bran
-salt (I just did a couple twists on my salt grinder)
-1 tbsp honey

1. Dissolve yeast in water and let sit for 10 minutes.

2. Mix flour, oat bran, and salt.

3.  Add honey and yeast mixture.  Stir and knead together.

4.  Cover and let sit for a couple minutes to rise.

Roll out on floured pizza pan.  I baked my crust for 5 minutes then took it out added my toppings and baked with them for 15 minutes and it came out perfectly. 

Pesto

I LOVE pesto.  On crackers, on veggies, in pasta, on pizza. I just love it.  I've been making big batches and putting it in the freezer.  It really defrosts well and is great for a quick dinner, for pizza, or when you really want it to dip your crackers in it.

Also, it's a hard recipe for me to write out because I make it all sorts of ways based on what I have.  But I will provide a basic recipe, that is always good.

-1 1/2 cups fresh basil
-1 c spinach
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
-3 garlic cloves
-1/3 cups pine nuts or walnuts (last time I made it I used sliced pecans and it still turned out delish)
-olive oil
-salt & pepper

Put all ingredients in the food processor, add olive oil and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment