Thursday, August 25, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake


Strawberry shortcake was one of my favorite dinners growing up (along with pancakes, cherry puddin', and apple dumplings).  I knew it was gonna be a good night when my mom said we were going to have strawberry shortcake for dinner.  We normally had a small-ish dinner....salad with grilled chicken or something then could indulge in the strawberry shortcake.  So this is definitely a tradition I plan on carrying on with my own family.  I think this is about the 3rd time I've made it for John so I'm on my way.  I don't think he quite understands the appeal but when we have kids I'm sure that will change.

So typically I would serve this shortcake in a bowl covered in strawberries with milk on it.  However we didn't have any milk, we didn't feel like running out and getting any, AND we had an almost expired carton of heavy cream in the fridge.....so I decided to make the indulgence a little more so by making homemade whipped cream.

Strawberry Shortcake

Shortcake:

1 1/3 c whole wheat flour
2 tbsp ground flax seed (This can be omitted)
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 c honey (or whatever looks right as you're squirting it out of the bottle)
1/4 c oil (canola, coconut)
1 big spoonful of plain or vanilla yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c milk (I used coconut milk because it's all I had)

Mix all ingredients together, pour into a greased 8x8 pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Whipped cream

1 c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp confectioners sugar

mix ingredients together.  Whip until peaks form and you have the right consistency.  I used an electric hand mixer, but you can do it by hand (if you have the patience) or with a stand mixer.

Wash and cut up strawberries and assemble shortcake.  Great for one of the last nights in August...

No comments:

Post a Comment