Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Marinara Sauce in Slow Cooker


Oh November!  Time moves so quickly these days..but I'm not to upset.  I love November and December.  There's a lot of food and deliciousness, family and friends, sweaters and coats, bundling up to go outside, or just snuggling inside with some wine (or tea, hot cocoa, or beer).

For November I decided that I am going to write down something (or several things) that I am thankful for from that day.  Just little things. I mean unless something really huge happens that day then obviously I will write that as well.  But most of the time, it's the little things that make my day.  If we all stop to think about the things that made us smile during the day instead of the things that made us mad, or stressed us out, I'm sure we'd all be a lot happier.  I got the idea from this blog:  Savvyeat- the-little-things.  I started a little late, but it's never to late to be thankful.

To keep track of all the things I am thankful for, I am using the smart phone app thankfulfor.  You can also use their website thankfulfor.com, write it in a journal, or use one of the creative ways Julie suggests.

Anyway,  this marinara sauce was really delicious and so easy to make.  It also makes a pretty big batch.  I used it for spaghetti for 2 one night, then lasagna for 10 a couple days later.  It can also be frozen.

Marinara Sauce in Slow Cooker

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 c chopped onion
5 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 c fresh basil chopped
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dry oregano
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.  Cook on high for 2 hours, then low for 1 hour.  If you want your sauce to be smooth, you can pulse it in the food processor.  Serve on spaghetti, in lasagna, as pizza sauce..the options are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment