Monday, July 25, 2011

Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos


I received this recipe from my beautiful friend Melanie.  She sent it to me after a discussion over how we like making vegetarian dishes but our husbands also like meat.  She said her husband even said about these burritos "it tastes like there is meat in here!" so that is a bonus!
I knew right away that I was going to love it due to the fact that it has two of my favorite ingredients in it: black beans and sweet potatoes.  I was not wrong in assuming this and knew I had to put it on my blog ASAP.  These will be a staple in the Marlowe house I know that for sure!

Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos:

3 cups sweet potatoes, peel and diced
1/2 c onion chopped
olive oil

Saute sweet potatoes and onions in 1 tbsp olive oil until tender.  Add water as needed to prevent sticking.  About 10-15 mins.

2 c black beans
1 tsp cumin
3/4 ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
A shake or two of cayenne red pepper

(since I love spices, I always tend to add more than recipes call for...so do what you think is right)

Add all of the above ingredients and cook until heated through.

8 flour tortillas (I actually used whole wheat, low carb tortillas from Trader Joes. Low cal, plus lots of fiber. Bonus!)
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat Oven to 350.

Divide bean mizture and cheese among tortillas and roll up. Place in a pan.  Cover pan with foil and bake for 20-25 mins.

Garnish with sour cream, salsa, and fresh cilantro!  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment